Chhattisgarh Legal Watch is an initiative focusing on legal interventions in respect of tribal and human rightsviolations. Chhattisgarh is a tribal state. It is full of mineral wealth. It is known to be one of the lush states in India. Bastar district, in this state, is known as Amazon of the country. The state came into existence in the year 2000. Now it is also known for its ongoing intense conflict. Indigenous people living there are facing human rights violations very frequently. Our initiative has been trying to help them out in getting justice at all level of courts.
Issues of concern
State government supported and formed a militia called Salwa Judum in 2005 which was declared anti-constitutional by Supreme Court in 2011. This militia has burned down more than 650 tribal villages and emptied them out.
- More than 350000 Tribals were forced to displace by same militia.
- Large scale mass killings took place during attacks on tribal population by this militia.
- Large numbers of rapes were committed by militia and security forces.
- State government provides impunity to the members of the militia and other forces.
- Tribals find no forum which could redress their grievances.
Chhattisgarh Legal Watch extends its support to the victims of above mentioned violations.
What we do
Large scale human rights violations have taken place in tribal areas of the state especially in Bastar region, which includes district Dantewada, Bijapur, Sukma, Bastar, Narainpur and Kanker. Tribals are denied state support when they ask for it to redress their grievances. People are in a situation of fear and trauma and they are scared of coming out of their villages because of the heavy presence of government forces. So we provide them free legal support at local courts, High Court and Supreme Court through our legal professionals. Whenever some abuse takes place our fact finding teams visit the site, meet people, collect testimonies and publish its fact finding reports. We support campaigns in favour of human rights defenders who are attacked due to their work for protection of rights of the Tribals of this state.
What we have done
- Free Binayak Sen Campaign.
- Free Soni Sori campaign.
- Free Linga Kodupi campaign.
- Free Seema Azad and Vishvavijay
- Free Ramesh Aggarwal
- Justice for Sodi Sambo