What HRLN Does
CRI’s major activity is filing Public Interest Cases in the Supreme Court of India and various High Courts on issues affecting children. CRI provides pro-bono legal services to children in conflict with the law and children in need of care and protection in the Juvenile Justice Boards and Child Welfare Committees all over the country. CRI represents children who are victims of sexual abuse or bonded labour during trial proceedings in trial courts, and assists the prosecution in the trial.
Main Concerns· Child labour
· Child trafficking.
· Right to education
· Child health and nutrition
· Child marriages
· Juvenile justice
· Child sexual abuse
· Torture and abuse of children
HRLN has been working towards rehabilitating children in conflict with the law and ensuring they don’t get stuck in the criminal justice system. The Supreme Court in our PIL on juvenile justice (Sampurna Behura Vs Union of India), ordered all the states and Union Territories in violation of complying with the JJ act provisions to do with the following:
· Complete training of the Special Juvenile Police Units by the District Legal Aid Services Authority
· Set up Juvenile Justice Boards in every district
· Reduce pendency by ensuring that the Board sits daily with active participation of social workers
· Create a module to train Legal Aid Lawyers and ensure their adequate presence in each district
· Encourage the implementation of the Integrated Child Protection Scheme
· Set up the Commission for Protection of Child Rights in Every state
CRI has also filed a PIL in the Odisha High Court (pending final hearing), to require the state to create a Compulsory Marriage Registration Act to combat child marriage, and ensure that the Mandatory provisions and rules of the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act be strictly followed.
Lack of action on child bonded labour: Delhi HC issues notice to state, asks for status reports on child labour schemes
Nirmal Gorana v Government of NCT of Delhi & Ors WP (Crl) 1011/2018 This petition made the grievance that despite th ...read more
The Delhi High Court on February 6, 2018, issued notices to respondent parties in a case of discrimination against and t ...read more
HRLN files petition seeking action against alarming number of children dying from malnutrition in MP
Shriprakash Singh Nimraje vs State of MP & Ors Several children have died of malnutrition-related ailments in Madhya ...read more